Saturday 12 August 2017

Intro: Why Am I Here?

Hello there! My name is Nicole, and welcome to my blog!

To get what I'm here for out of the way, here's what I'm planning to blog about:
I am a bookworm and writer, so this blog is going to be writing and book related.

What kind of writing and book-related content, you may ask?

In particular, I write fantasy. I am not yet published (at the time of writing this), but I have been writing consistently for the past decade. In recent years in particular I have been doing a lot of research into writing, and I'm constantly trying to improve my craft.

I'm a self-taught writer. The extent of my writing education is through searching the internet for lectures, going to conferences, and studying the way that the books I read are written. And, to be honest, there are some subjects that, in spite of searching, I still struggled to find answers for. Different techniques that, the deeper I searched, the more confusing things seemed. I could read and listen to everything I wanted on subjects like culture and worldbuilding and magic and character, but sometimes the answers I found didn't...click, for lack of a better term. I could understand what was being said, but I still struggled to make what I learned work in a story. I had the pieces, but for a long time I was struggling to put them together.

Which brings me here.

Sometimes the best way to learn something is to hear it from a different point of view, and I figured that maybe my point of view could be helpful to someone else who is in search of answers.

I know that I'm still learning, and I am by no means an expert in writing. Then again, there isn't a single writer out there who knows everything there is to know about the craft. Learning is a constant thing, and I'm excited to learn more through this blog as well.

So, once again, welcome to my blog, and thanks for stopping by!

1 comment: